Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Singita Boulders Sabi Sand


Day 8 & 9

 
The rest of day 8 was completely amazing with elephant sightings. For such a massive animal they are incredibly quite and graceful. It was a fabulous way to end our game drives.
 
Day 9 starting with a 5:00 wake up call – which is no issue when you are greeted with a tray of coffee.  I had one last look out of my tent and headed for my final drive in the Timbavati region. The temperature drop was incredible. The day prior it was almost 100 degrees and I was freezing in this drive. The morning started out a little slow and then... the most fabulous leopard sighting. I didn't think it could get better than our first sighting but seeing this leopard on the prowl was insane! We were so incredibly close and I have to say a bit nervous for the first time. A fantastic way to end our time at Tanda Tula.

 

So like most Travel Agents we were then off to do sight inspections. Although.... I have never done them by helicopter before. We met our pilot at the air strip and then flew to Royal Malewane and Tintswalo – both so special. We made our final flight to Singita Boulders which is nothing but spectacular. We had time for one more game drive of the day. It was amazing how different the topography was so different in just a few hundred miles. This area has had some storms and is becoming green. 


Our first major sighting was two incredible lionesses. The females are absolutely stunning and regal.  For me, more impressive than the males.  We watched them rest, hunt, rest, hunt... and we left them. They were too exposed to the impalas that they were hunting so they decided to take a nap. I like the way they think.
 
 


We moved on to spot a massive heard of buffalo (amazing) and then another (OMG) leopard sighting. This leopard was lying in the tree for a lazy rest. Then our tracker noticed the zebra carcass in the same tree that she brought up to the top to protect from hyenas and other prey stealing her catch. She was happy and full and was just a perfect way to call it a night for this drive. Driving back to the camp we saw the same to lionesses looking for “dinner”. I have a feeling it probably happened tonight.


We had about 30 minutes to freshen up for a fabulous wine tasting (now you really feel bad for me). They only serve South African wines here which of course is very fitting and of course now I have my new favorites. The night ended with an amazing dinner, great company and memories of the most surreal day of my life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment